Different types of Yarn that you can buy in India
India is known for its rich heritage of weaving. India holds a rank in global yarn production. The Yarn produced in India is praised and demanded globally. Yarn is the ingredient that gives us different types of fabric to wear. In textile production, Yarns are the fibers twisted together to create a fine cord, apt for use in most of the processes for the production of textiles. It is used in a variety of processes to produce textiles. There are several types of Yarn varied according to their thicknesses, shapes, source, and their use.
There are two main categories in which Yarn is divided which are then subdivided into several other categories.
- Spun or Staple Yarn
- Filament Yarn
A type of yarn made by spinning spindles at very high speeds to twist the staples together to form a piece of yarn from the bundle of staples. Spun Yarn has several other categories varied on different factors.
Based on the number of Plys:
Yarn Ply is a term used to describe the number of strands that make up the Yarn. On the basis of the number of ply, there are two types:
- Single-ply Yarn: A yarn having only one strand or ply is called Single-Ply Yarn
- Multi-plys Yarn: Yarn with more than one ply twisted together is called Multi-Plys Yarn.
Based on the twisting direction:
A yarn twist is an arrangement of fibers spiraling around a yarn's axis. Yarn is also divided based on what direction a yarn is twisted:
- S-twist Yarn: When a Yarn is twisted clockwise, it appears to make the
letter “S” therefore is called S-twist Yarn.
- Z-twist Yarn: When a Yarn is twisted anti-clockwise, it appears to
make the letter “Z” and therefore is called Z-twist Yarn.
- Twistless Yarn: A yarn made through the experimental process of
wrapping soluble filament with untwisted fibers which makes the Yarn
look twistless is called Twistless or Zero-twist Yarn.
Based on the degree of a twist:
The level of intensity at which a Yarn is twisted is referred to as the degree of a twist.
- Low Twist Yarn: Yarn containing less degree of twist than the standard is called Low Twist Yarn. These types of Yarn usually have a soft feel. Because of the low degree of twist, it certainly is less strong than other types.
- Normal Twist Yarn: Yarn containing a normal degree of twists as per standards of the Yarn industry.
- High Twist Yarn: Yarn that contains a higher degree of twists compared to normal standards is termed a High Twist Yarn. These types of Yarn contain higher strength because of their degree of twist. It also looks better than the Normal twist Yarn.
Based on the Spinning Process:
The process of converting fibers into Yarn is referred to as the Spinning process. On the basis of what kind of technology and spinning process has been used in making a Yarn, there are two types:
- Open-End Yarn: The yarn that’s created through Open-end spinning is called Open-End Yarn. Open-end spinning refers to the process of creating yarn without using a spindle or a spinning wheel. The manufacturing cost of this type of Yarn is less as several processes are skipped in the Open-end spinning technique. Also, these types of Yarn are less in strength and are of cheap quality, and contain several degrees of unevenness.
- Ring-Frame Yarn: Ring-frame spinning is a process of converting fibers into Yarn with the help of a Ring frame machine. A Ring frame machine is a machine that involves several technical steps in the production of Yarn.
It is further divided into several other types based on the number of steps involved in the process:
A yarn consisting of multiple continuous strands called filaments, each of which runs the length of the yarn is called Filament Yarn. The filament can be man-made or synthetic.
Filament Yarn is further divided into the following categories:
As the name implies, Mono-filament Yarn is the type of Yarn that consist of a single solid filament. Although it contains only a single filament, the Yarn is still good in strength.
As evident from the name, a yarn that’s composed of more than one filament is called a Multi-filament yarn. The filaments in this type are very thin and incredibly long. The Multi-filament yarn is further divided into the following types:
- Twisted Filament Yarn: It is composed of multiple long continuous filaments that have been twisted to prevent fraying of the filaments.
- Rotto Filament Yarn: Filaments grouped and punched at regular intervals to prevent the filaments from fraying are called rotto yarn.
- Zero-twist Filament Yarn: Multiple continuous filaments grouped together without twisting are known as zero-twist filament yarn.
These are the major types of Yarn that a person can find in our country. There are several other kinds divided based on different factors. A few of those Yarn are: Novelty Yarn, Slub Yarn, Flake Yarn, Loop Yarn, Spiral & Corkscrew Yarn, Chenille Yarn, Texture Yarn, Bulk Yarn, Hollow Yarn, etcetera.
The Yarn world is full of different types of Yarn. It’s ultimately up to you to choose what type of Yarn you’d like to trade in. Finding these Yarns by the traditional method could be a real difficult task. Therefore, YarnBiz provides a Yarn marketplace where you can search for whatever type of Yarn you want very conveniently through your phone. Join YarnBiz today to take the business to new heights.